If you are suffering an injury due to a motor vehicle accident, you may be considering your options for compensation. One of the best places to start is by contacting a personal injury attorney. Many people are unsure of where to start or what to bring to a consultation. How do you adequately explain what happened at such an emotional time?
The key is providing your attorney with documentation that proves your injuries and explains your situation. It is recommended that you provide your attorney with the following documents:
· Insurance Policy - Your attorney can review and make sure you get the compensation you are entitled to based on your policy.
· Premium Payment Invoices - Showing that your insurance is current and "in force" is important to getting compensation for your losses.
· Information from the Scene - You may have swapped contact information or taken statements from witnesses. You may have photographs or tag numbers. All of this is helpful in building your claim.
· Police Report - Police accident reports are important for developing a clear picture of the accident scene, possible causation, and law enforcement perspective.
· Medical Records - Medical records and invoices help prove that your injuries are related to the accident and are causing you financial hardship.
· Pay Records - If you have lost time at work due to your injuries provide proof through pay records.
The more information you can provide to your attorney, the more time he or she has to start building your claim.